Tuesday, May 31, 2011

What to do with all these tomatoes??!??


My husband, Robby, has spent many long hours working his garden.  This week, we began to see the Harvest.  The picture above is today's harvest alone!  Each year, I spend hours canning and freezing tomatoes.  I starting thinking of a few different things that I could do with our tomatoes this year.  I decided that I am going to attempt to make Homemade Salsa. 
  Since I have never made Salsa, I have began looking for recipes.  I found one that sounds really good, nd thought that I would share the recipe with you.  I have posted it below.
   Please comment below if you have a better recipe (I would love to try them!)


Fresk Vegetable Salsa
 
what you need
  • 1 medium cucumber
  • 1 medium red or green pepper
  • 1 small red onion
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 3 scallions
  • 1 small tomato
  • 1 carrot, peeled,
  • 1 small iceberg lettuce heart
  • 1 small wedge red or green cabbage
  • 1/4 cup fresh parsley
  • 3 fresh sage leaves
  • 3 sprigs fresh thyme
  • Low-fat Italian style salad dressing
make it
Wash and dry all the produce. In a small food chopper, process one vegetable at a time, until minced, but not finely minced. Place the vegetables in a large glass bowl and mix together.

Process the fresh herbs and add to the bowl. Mix together. Add enough Italian style dressing to moisten the salsa, but do not add an excessive amount (this can make the salsa soggy).

Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and chill. Chill for at least two hours for the flavors to blend. (Stir at least twice during this time.)
Notes
This is great with tortilla chips, as a relish to accompany a meal, or on a submarine sandwich.

Try this in a triple-compartment serving dish: Fresh Vegetable Salsa, Homemade Guacamole, and warmed homemade Tomato Salsa! Sure to be a hit with your guests!


No comments:

Post a Comment